Amoebiasis is a parasitic infection caused by Entamoeba histolytica. It is usually contracted by ingesting water or food contaminated with amoebic cysts. It may or may not be symptomatic. It is usually transmitted by contamination of drinking water and foods with fecal matter, but can also be transmitted indirectly through handling of contaminated objects. The parasite only lives in humans. People exposed to this parasite may experience mild or severe symptoms or no symptoms at all. Fortunately, most exposed people do not become seriously ill. The mild form of amoebiasis includes nausea, loose stools, weight loss, abdominal tenderness and occasional fever. Rarely, the parasite will invade the body beyond the intestines and cause a more serious infection, such as a liver abscess. Metronidazole and related compounds form the mainstay of treatment.


In order to proceed further, you need to have an account on IDG.
Create a new account now

Registered users, you can login below to access this page.


Browse more articles in Protozoal